#16 A Mother Knows the Words Her Child Cannot Say (if not, she becomes the Columbo of Communication)



Well, not literally, but a mother's intuition sure comes in handy when trying to figure out what 'her child cannot say'. Before Carter got his talker I was the the Columbo of communication, the Magnum P.I. of his wants and needs, piecing together what he was trying to communicate through his use of gestures, sign language and facial expressions. 

Even now, I play the role of Detective Mom whenever Carter can't get his message across with his talker. I often need to look for clues in the surrounding environment when trying to figure out what he's trying to communicate. 

You can read more about being a detective mom here and you can read about the harsh reminder of what it's like to be without Carter's talker here.

 


























Disclaimer: Views in the Not Being Able to Speak series are derived from my personal experience with Carter. I do not speak on behalf of others with complex communication needs. It is not my intent to minimize or disregard the power of expression that can be found through the use of augmentative and alternative forms of communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment