Breaking Bad Does AAC

I've been meaning to write a post with an update on what I've been up to lately, but what I've been up to lately has me so busy I haven't had the time!

So, in a week or so (after my exam - oops, did I spoil it?) I'll fill you in. In the meantime, I'll leave you with something else I've been meaning to share.


Have you watched the Emmy award winning series, Breaking Bad? We quickly became addicted in this house, after watching just one episode. We're anxiously awaiting the release of seasons six on Netflix (or for the DVD fairy to drop it on our doorstep).

Not only is Breaking Bad a wildly popular series, it has won points with disability advocates everywhere thanks to RJ Mitte, the actor who plays the son of main character, Walter White. RJ is a phenomenal actor who just so happens to have cerebral palsy. 



But here's what got me: Breaking Bad actually features a character using AAC!

Take a look at this scene where DEA agent, Hank Schrader has been brought in to the station because his colleagues believe that Hector Salamanca, former high-ranking drug runner with the Juarez cartel (rendered speechless due to stroke) is going to reveal critical information about a current drug ring. 






Hank should know better - Salamanca is old school and wouldn't be caught dead snitching. His message put a smile on my face though as it showed AAC (with a little reading between the lines) in its true form: being able to say exactly what you want to say when you want to say it.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Stacey
    How much do I love that clip? No Mr. Helpless there. Hilarious. What a great way to show that all kinds of people communicate in all kinds of ways, and when you have something to say, what matters is that you get your message across.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Thanks, Ida Mae. I've been out of touch in the social media world - hope you're doing well!

      Delete